Sunday, July 5, 2009

Arrival

After two days of travel I'm here in Otavalo, Ecuador.

I flew in yesterday, leaving my house at 10:00 and not arriving until 12:30 in the morning (actually 1:30 at home due to the hour time difference). My flight was delayed due to a medical emergency and an unexpected landing in Panama City. It was like something out of a movie, what with them asking if there was a doctor on board. I was so happy to see faces of other Swarthmore students that I recognized at the airport. The Program Director came to pick me up, and he was waiting with another arrival.

We spent the night in a hostel in Quito that had internet and free breakfast! It was only $10 (yeah, they use the USD here). Everything is so much cheaper.

We rode a bus to Otavalo today. While I did sleep most of the time, driving through the mountains was beautiful. And if the outside sights weren't enough to keep me entertained, people came onto the bus to sell ice cream and soda and other snacks. Some even jumped off while the bus was still moving!

Now I'm here at the hostel (pictures to come if I'm not feeling lazy). There are roosters that squawk and crow at all hours, as well as loud music that's coming from who knows where. Home?

No comments:

Post a Comment