Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sick Day/Doctor Visit

I think I was out of bed for a max of four hours or so today. And in the bathroom for around five.

I watched an episode of Greys (which took about an hour to download), read my book, talked to people online, and found other sources of in-bed entertainment. It was a lonely day.

I tried to upload pictures to my blog, but the internet is also too slow for that. I guess it'll be like that John Mayer song "3x5." "I'm writing you to catch you up on places I've been. You held this letter, probably got excited, but there's nothing else inside it..."

The only real adventure of the day came at the end, when I walked across town in my pajamas (imagine the whistles that got) to the doctors office. Another volunteer helped me explain my symptoms in Spanish. The doctor listened to my stomach with a stethoscope, asked a few questions, and came up with a rather predictable diagnosis--bacterial infection.

But then she pulls out the needle. I've never gotten a shot for an infection before. Then my friend explains that I need to get this shot in my butt.

In Spanish they have a special word for butt cheek, "nalga." I learned it last semester in my Spanish class. In one of the stories we read, a fairly young widow swims in her pool while wearing a black, silk dress. Despite the dark color of her dress, her nalgas still manage to glisten in the moonlight.

This was nothing so dignified as that. My friend offers her hand and turns her cheek (una mejilla, not una nalga). The doctor pulls down my pink squirrel pants, inserts the needle, and leaves it there for quite some time. She explains that I need to relax and breathe so the nerves don't cramp.

Eventually it is over. It wasn't too painful, but horribly mortifying.

I shared at dinner, hoping I could show the" world through both my eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment